Any Sherline lathe can be ordered ready for the application of stepper motors and Computer Numeric Control (CNC). Sherline installs stepper motor mounts in place of the leadscrew and crosslide handwheels. These mounts are designed to accept 23-frame size stepper motors. A dampened coupling for the 1/4″ motor shaft is included. The coupling drives the leadscrew through two 3/8″ bearings with adjustable preload to remove end play.
Once you have the machine, you will need to attach stepper motors and connect them through a driver to a computer. Several aftermarket companies provide the proper motors, drivers and software to complete the package. You can read a list of these supplies and visit their web sites for price comparisons by visiting the CNC Dealers page within Sherline’s site. Sherline also offers high quality stepper motors, which can be found in the accessories section of this site.
Standard equipment for the model 4000-CNC (4100-CNC metric) lathe includes:
- A powerful 90V DC motor with electronic speed controller
- 2.75″ (70mm) x 6.0″ (152mm) crosslide
- 15″ (381mm) steel bed to allow 8″ (203mm) between centers
- The handwheels are included and can be mounted to the end of the stepper motors to maintain manual control when needed.* Three standard 1-5/8″ (41mm) laser engraved aluminum handwheels. Each handwheel has laser engraved aluminum handwheel collars
- *NOTE: CNC-ready machines cannot be operated manually until stepper motors are installed.
- Pulleys, drive belt, faceplate, lathe dog, two dead centers, three hexagonal keys, tool post, sharpened high-speed steel cutting tool, eight-foot three-wire power cord, and instruction manual
- Available with red handwheels upon request
Available in your choice of inch or metric handwheel graduations.
This package includes:
- 2.5" 3-jaw Chuck
- 1/4" Tailstock Chuck
Swing Over Bed: 3.50″ (90 mm)
Swing Over Carriage: 1.75″ (45 mm)
Distance Between Centers: 8.00″ (200 mm)
Hole Through Spindle: .405″ (10 mm)
Spindle Nose Thread: 3/4″-16 T.P.I.
Spindle Nose Taper: #1 Morse
Travel of Crosslide: 4.25″ (110 mm)
Tailstock Spindle Taper: #0 Morse
Protractor Graduations: 0° to 45° by 5°
Handwheel Graduations: .001″ (.01 mm)
Length Overall: 23.5″ (597 mm)
Width Overall: 10.5″ (267 mm)
Height Overall: 8.5″ (216 mm)
Shipping Weight: 24 lb. (10.9 kg
Motor: 90 volt DC with electronic speed control that accepts any incoming current from 100VAC to 240 VAC, 50 Hz or 60 Hz. Click here for motor specifications
Spindle Speed Range: 70-2800 RPM continuously variable by electronic speed control
NOTE: All machines that are described as "CNC-ready" have Stepper Motor Mounts, but do NOT include Stepper Motors, Linux computer & software, or CNC software.
Other ordering options:
Similar to the XYZ bases for our mills, you can now order the lathe without the headstock, motor, or speed control. Please see the selections in the drop down menu above.
Download PDF Assembly and Instruction Guide